Sporting activities and cultural facilities in "Franconian Switzerland"
- "Fraenkisch-Schweiz" Museum Tuechersfeld (5 km)
The museum hosts special exibitions and events
- "Weidenloh/Pottenstein" golf course, providing taster courses (7 km)
- "Fraenkisch-Schweiz" golf course in Kanndorf/Ebermannstadt (7 km)
- Climbing: climbing routes on Jurassic rock formations; multilingual descriptions are available,
- Kurt Albers Memorial close to the "Muschelquelle" overlooking the village Streitberg
- Tennis: tennis courts can be found in all local villages
- Kayak trips
- Kayak and canoe hire: www.aktiv-reisen.com in Muggendorf (7 km)
- Kayak hire: www.kajak-mietservice.de in Doos (8 km)
- Motorbike tours on winding roads through scenic valleys
"Kathi-Braeu Biker Inn (20 km)
- Fly fishing on the Puettlach, Wiesent and Aufsess rivers
Fly fishing school: "Hammermuehle" in Waischenfeld (13 km)
- Trout farm and smokery in Pottenstein
- Motor-gliding: sightseeing flights at "Burg Feuerstein" (15 km)
- Summer toboggan runs: in Pottenstein (8 km)
- Leisure park with aerial ropes adventure course in Pottenstein, higly ropes centre in Betzenstein
- Hikes in the nature reserve on well-signposted trails past amazing rock formations, caves, mills, castles and fortress ruins lead the rambler through a magical countryside with orchard meadows, colourful mix at deciduous and coniferous woods, herbs, wild orchids and sites of Celtic origin.
- "Frankenweg" trail
- "Fraenkischer Gebirgsweg"
- Walks along a medieval trade route
- Children´s fairy-tale trail
- Cave trail past the "Riesenburg" and "Quackenschloss" rock formations
- Cycling: there is an uninterrupted cycling trail along "Wiesent" river leading to the town of Forchheim.
- E-bike hire in several neighbouring towns (half day or full day)
- Horse-drawn carriage rides:
- "Lieberth" Coach Tour Oberator in Wuestenstein
- "Regus" Equestrian Centre in Neudorf
- Visit the "Druidenhain: (Druid sanctuary) guided by Mrs. Rosa Schmidt-Köhler, for useful information about the Celts and for reservation please contact "www. naturschule.info
- Fossils: there are various quarries where you can dig for fossils dating back to the Jurassic period.
- Castles & Fortresses to visit:
- "Pottenstein" castle Baron von Winzingerothe (8 km)
- "Unteraufsess" castle Baron von Aufseß (18 km)
- "Egloffstein" castle Baron von Egloffstein (18 km)
- "Greifenstein castle Counts von Stauffenberg (21 km)
- "Rabenstein"castle: special events, include the "Medieval Marked", concerts, wild boar carvery, murder mystery dinner.
- Dripstone caves: guided visits and events (8km)
- Other caves can be explored with appropriate equipment.
- Dripstone caves: guided visits and events (8km)
- Wildlife park in Hundshaupten including a children´s zoo (15 km)
- "Burg Rabenstein" falconry with about 80 birds of prey and owls (8 km)
- Swimming baths
- several outdoor swimming facilities in the locality
- "Juramar" indoor aquatic centre in Pottenstein (8 km)
- "Obernsees" spa centre with a beautiful sauna area (25 km)
- Leisure parks
- "Thurn" castle in Heroldsbach (35 km)
- Concert venues
- "Hundshaupten" castle (15 km)
- Summer concerts in Pegnitz (25 km)
- "Unterleinleiter" castle (10 km)
- "Wernsdorf" castle - medieval instruments (38 km)
- "Summer theatre" organized by the "Gangolf" Theatre in Hollfeld,
mostly open air performances in fortresses and castles.
- "Neideckesemble": open air performances at the "Neideck" fortress ruin, taking place July and in August (9 km)
Ammonite Museum and Model Railway Museum in Muggendorf (7 km)
- Brewery Museum and "Executioner" Museum in Pottenstein (8 km)
- "Levis Strauss" Museum in Buttenheim (20 km),
- Synagoge in Ermreuth (30 km)
- "Easter fountains": at Easter time all fountains are decorated with dye eggs
- Microbreweries: Franconia boasts the highest brewery density in the world, the specialties are dark or amber-coloured, gently sweet beers
- Walks with guided visits to breweries
- Micro- destilleries: our region is rich in cherry, sloe and yellow plum trees
- Visit to a distillery in Bieberbach (6 km)
- Farm shop in Moggast (6 km)
- Privately distilled brandies in various inns
- Distillery in Streitberg (9 km) producing the "Streitberger Bitter" to taste in the "Hoehlenklause" Inn and the "Historische Pilgerstube" Inn
- Distilleries in Pretzfeld (13 km)
- Particular delights: Franconian whiskey (Blue mouse) and sparking apple cider (Charlemagne)
- Hot weeks with horseradish dishes in several restaurants and inns
- Fairs, local festivals, parochial parties on holidays, vintage tractor and car meetings
- Folkloric performances of different kinds and a holiday program for children are organized in summer from April to October.
- A Thanksgiving party with Thanksgiving parade and a "Pumpkin Festival" takes place annually in Muggendorf on the first weekend in October
At the "Schoenhof" Manor in Eichenbirkig (9 km) a Thanksgiving party, including a festival program and visit to the farm, is organized by the "Johannische Kirche" concregation on the last weekend of September.
- Starting from our hotel, it takes between 30 minutes and 1.25 hours by car visit the towns of Forcheim, Erlangen, Nuremberg, Bayreuth, Kulmbach, Kronach, Coburg and Bamberg, as well as the "Banz monastery, the "Vierzehnheiligen" sanctuary, the health resort of Bad Staffelstein and the town of Lichtenfels.
Given the wide variety of possible destinations ...
... it may be better to plan the excursions in advance before going on holidays.